Saturday, February 18, 2012

Jamie Lynn Spears Talks Country Music Career & Hurtful Teen Pregnancy Press: 'I Did The Best I Could'

The unexpected pregnancy of Jamie Lynn Spears shocked fans of the then-16-year-old Nickelodeon star in 2007.

Now almost 21, Jamie is speaking out about her struggles as a teen mom and the painful press that came along with her very public pregnancy.

PLAY IT NOW: Dish Of Salt: Bristol Palin Talks Teen Pregnancy & Guest Starring On ‘The Secret Life Of The American Teenager’

"I had to make a decision that I could sleep with every night. I did feel responsible for the young girls and the mothers who I probably confused and let down. I apologize for that," Jamie told Glamour magazine in an interview for their latest issue, of deciding to keep her baby. "But I wasn't trying to glamorize teen pregnancy. I hated when [the tabloids] said that. Everybody is dealt a hand of cards. It was my choice to play them the way I played them. But the hateful comments hurt."

Jamie, who split from daughter Maddie's father Casey Aldridge in 2010, said watching the tabloids having a heyday with sister Britney Spears' tribulations made her decide to move out of Los Angeles to escape stressful scrutiny.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Jamie Lynn Spears

"I just wanted to get away from it as much as I could, to just go away and be a mom and figure out what I wanted, and to earn a sense of respect back for myself," she told the mag. "Move to a town in the middle of nowhere and just raise my child. All I could be was a good mother. If anybody had anything to say after that, there was nothing I could do."

Jamie also opened up about the difficulties of being a teen mom.

"There were so many times -- especially when Maddie would get sick -- when I would cry to myself and think, 'I really don't know what to do,'" she said. "It takes bravery to be a young mom, and it does take bravery to let the world watch."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Former Child Stars

Now an aspiring country singer, Jamie Lynn resides in Nashville, Tenn., with Maddie, 3, and finds music a helpful outlet to express everything she's gone through in the last five years.

"I was a kid who did a kid show. Then I went away and raised my child, and the world has never met me as an adult," she said. "This is the first time anybody is really meeting me as a grown woman and grown mother making a decision about what to do with my life... My music will speak for itself."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: A Look Back: Britney Spears’ Early Years

For the full interview with Jamie Lynn, head over to Glamour.

Copyright 2012 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment